Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Ceramics Project









      In our ceramics project, I began by folding a cutting a piece of paper to obtain a preferable design. Next, I wedged the slab of clay to ensure the removal of any excess air inside. After this, the design on the paper was pressed into the clay, providing an appropriate method of cutting out the design in clay. After cutting out the clay, I chose to use a hump mold in which the clay was placed atop a small bowl. By doing this, I was able to carefully cover the clay in slip and regulate the sides with a template. Along with this, I carved a radial design upon the bottom of the ceramic as seen in the second picture. After it dried, the ceramic was fired in a kiln to remove excess moisture and solidify the object. Afterwards, the ceramic was glazed to achieve a glossy surface and then placed into the kiln a final time.

     

      The ceramic that I created serves as a perfect fruit basket, along with many other uses as well. The medium of the ceramic was obviously clay, resulting in a final piece of 10.2 inches and 1.6 inches in height. The design element stressed in this project was definitely form. From this project, I learned in detail how to create a ceramic and the function of a kiln. If i ever repeated this project, I would attempt to create a design on the top and add color as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment