Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Iron Man Cast

      In this project, we were asked to create a cast of either a hand, foot, or face. As the artist, I asked my partner to pose his hand for the project. Our first step consisted of cutting numerous strips of the provided plaster. These strips were approximately the length of our fingers. Next, I had to dip each strip into a bowl of water, releasing excess liquid before placing it upon my partner's hand. During this step, each strip was thoroughly rubbed down in order to ensure its stability. After the plaster dried, I used a pair of safety scissors to carefully cut a part of the cast. After this, I held the cast tight as my partner pulled it off. As for the cut in the plaster, I simply used another strip of wet plaster for covering. Similarly, I utilized these same steps to create the base. In order to achieve the cylindrical shaped, I thoroughly covered a small bucket in numerous strips of plaster, creating a cast. As soon as the plaster dried, I slowly pulled the cast off of the bucket.

      After the two casts were made, I decided to paint each. The inspiration for my painting came from Marvel's Iron Man, a well renown character. The hand was painted a bright red with acrylic paint, including a yellow center. As for the base, it was painted black to contrast with the bright colors of the hand. With the black base, the hand tends to be the center of attention for the eyes. In order to keep both pieces together, I spread hot glue upon the top of the base and held the hand there for a few seconds. Thus, I created an interesting piece of art that is inspired by one of my favorite Marvel comic heroes.


No comments:

Post a Comment